Monday, March 29, 2010

A little about myself

In 1992 (on June 21) I was in a car wreck that left me a quadriplegic from the neck down. I was 22 years old.

After the wreck I spent 3 months at a hospital in Dayton. Six weeks of that time was in the rehab unit where I received vigorous physical therapy and occupational therapy to help me work with the parts of my body I didn't lose function of. For me it was operating a computer with shoulder shrugs and turning pages of a book with a stick in my mouth, etc.

After the hospital stay I went to live in a nursing home in Springfield. That was the closest nursing home that accepted patients on ventilaters. I was there from 1992-2002, just under 10 years. I don't recommend anybody go live in a nursing home unless they have exhausted all other options, but it wasn't all bad. I met some wonderful people there, some whom I have remained very close to!!! :)

Since then I have had surgery to have a diaphragmatic pacer implanted so I can breathe with that instead of a ventilater and have had my trache removed. :)

I get up in my wheelchair everyday and get range of motion to my arms, hands and fingers as well. Every evening I get transferred to a standing frame which allows me to stand in an upright position while stretching my ankles, back and legs which is beneficial for oodles of reasons. I try to stand for two hours while I watch tv or a movie.

Well, that is all for now. Have a great night!

No comments:

Post a Comment