Saturday, April 28, 2018

Goober

After we lost our Buddy, we lost a piece of our hearts. Steve was ready to get another dog much quicker than myself. The way he wanted to fill the void was too get another dog. Me, not so much. The pain of losing Buddy was so great, I wasn't sure if I ever wanted to  get another dog. We all grieve differently and no way is the right way or the wrong way, it's just individual.

After a few months had passed, Steve was getting relentless. :) He was itching for a new dog. Lady needed a friend, and I was ready to start looking. I searched Labrador Rescues, Craigslist, Petfinder, and the Humane Societies in our area. Each day I opened Petfinder, I kept seeing the picture of a black lab who was being fostered in Indiana. His name was Goober. His picture revealed big ears, big brown eyes, a long tongue that draped over his teeth on the outside of his mouth, and a blue ball between his front paws. He was just the cutest and the name Goober seemed fitting. :) He looked mischievous, which made me gravitate to him that much more. :)

Steve and I filled out an application to adopt at Lucky Lab Rescue. Once approved we made the trip to Indiana to meet Goober. When we pulled in the gravel driveway we had to drive slow because of the bumps. At the end of the driveway, was a rustic log cabin home. On the right of the cabin was a dog shelter that housed probably 8-10 dogs. On the left side of the driveway we noticed a tall man holding a leash up in the air. At the end of the leash was a big black lab bouncing up and down 10' feet in the air. He  was barking his head off in excitement. Was this Goober, that cute mischievous dog in the picture? I wasn't sure if I should be excited or mortified. Steve felt the same.

Steve, Lady and I got out of the van. The couple who ran the rescue seemed nice. Lady and Goober got along well, which was a plus. We visited awhile and played with Goober. I had a gut feeling the couple who ran the rescue was getting impatient with our unwillingness to commit. She began to show a need to wrap things up because she needed to feed the dogs. When Steve asked to see other black labs, we sensed an attitude. After he looked at the puppies he felt as if we should give Goober a home. Steve felt as if the other dogs would be easily adoptable unlike Goober. It was apparent that Goober had learned a lot of bad habits in his short life and we were up for the challenge. :)

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment