Friday, May 4, 2018

Goober Part 2

It was decided that Goober needed a new name. He became Cooper.

As soon as we brought Cooper home, he got a bath. Steve got a bath too, as it was quite a struggle to keep Cooper in the tub. :) The poor guy was muddy, needed brushed and also needed his nails clipped.

He seemed to ignore the cats initially, but that quickly changed. He was determined to chase them every chance he got. Riley was more bold and held his own. Alexandra on the other hand was afraid and stayed hidden. This was not fair to her and we hoped it would change.

After a week or so we questioned whether we could keep this crazy Cooper. Aside from tormenting the cats, he jumped up on everybody, counter surfed, and was basically too much too handle. The thought of  giving up on him made me cry. The thought of keeping him made me anxious. My biggest concern was my nursing assistants and their well being. I didn't want him to hurt them on accident. I asked myself, "Would they quit because of this crazy dog? Would they be okay with his shenanigans? Would they help me with his training techniques if we did keep him?"  It was a lot to think about it.

Each time Steve and I planned on taking the trip to Indiana to return him, we would find ourselves not following through with.it. We didn't talk about not going, we didn't talk about giving him more time, we just didn't talk about it at all. We simply ignored the elephant in the room. :)

Too be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment