Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Cooper in training part 2

Training was once a week for six weeks. Every week seemed like a repeat of the week before, as he just was not able to focus. The trainer was discouraging. She  did not hold back her feelings about his bad habits, his size, strength, and aggression. The bottom line was Cooper had learned a lot of bad habits before we got him and it was hard to undo what he was doing wrong. He apparently had been roaming the streets without a home for a long time. It makes me sad to think about him not having a home for so long....

On our last day of training the trainer expressed her feelings. She felt Cooper needed to continue training somewhere else that was more advanced and more experienced with dogs that had control issues. She admitted that Petsmart training was not good for dogs with behavior issues. It was fine by me because I had no intent on bringing him back there for more training anyway. Her and I were on the same page, but for different reasons....

I met with another person about training, which was the same lady that groomed both our dogs. It was a Mother/Daughter team that did grooming, boarding and training. For training they wanted to do one on one (without me) once a week for three weeks. After three weeks, training would continue at their business.

They also had experience in training dogs to be service dogs. When I inquired about Cooper getting trained to be my service dog, they immediately voiced the reasons this would not be a good idea. :(

I was okay with Cooper not being cut out to be a service dog. He was still a sweet lug and offered so much love! 



No comments:

Post a Comment