Saturday, July 23, 2011

Disabilities and relationships

Today I had a conversation with somebody about disabilities and relationships and it made me realize how close minded people are.

The conversation started out being about this persons new boyfriend, who has been a diabetic for five years. She went on to say that because of his diabetes, it can cause some things to not fully function in the bedroom. After she shared this way too personal (and useless to me) information she said he was dating a woman last year, who was a paraplegic. As she was saying this, I literally saw a fricking light bulb go off in her head. At that exact moment she realized and shared with me that the reason he was dating somebody in a wheelchair was probably because he was compromised in the bedroom. In other words he lowered himself to date somebody who couldn't walk because she wouldn't get any satisfaction from an erect penis anyway because well, she's in a chair. ARE YOU SERIOUS!!

She looked at me as if she wanted my approval, my assurance or something! I looked at her and was dumbfounded by the bullshit that exited her mouth. I said, "I'm surprised you would think that way. People in wheelchairs can not only have sex, but they can be great lovers" I asked her "What makes you think he didn't have feelings for her?" She then began to trip over her words and back track what she said, which was visibly awkward for her.

The reason that this conversation left me dumbfounded is because I have been around this person on a regular basis for years and she knows I have a boyfriend. What blows me away even more, she has an adult daughter who has been in a wheelchair since birth. She has told me time and time again, "I wish my daughter would meet somebody like you have." Wouldn't that classify them as having short comings or being compromised? Pft!


To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment