Saturday, September 10, 2011

I've returned!!

Well, I arrived home from my trip last night, which was absolutely amazing!! It was so great to see my niece after 2 plus months. She looked a little tired, but she felt great and her spirits were soaring high! :)
We (Stephanie and I) arrived at the hotel Tuesday evening around 6:00. After getting settled in and freshening up from the long trip we decided our bellies needed filled. We went down the street and found a restaurant that neither one of us had ever eaten at before.... Shoneys. Unfortunately, it was not a good choice. My baked potato was undercooked and Stephanie's steak was over cooked! Grrrr! We went ahead and ate without complaining and came back to the hotel to watch tv and visit with my sister and nephew awhile. Later I noticed my breathing was labored some, which usually just means the batteries are low and need swapped. We checked the batteries and one of the indicator lights did indeed show one battery was low and needed changed. Well, after changing both batteries with brand new ones, my breathing was worse! Every time she moved the pacer it was shorting out!! I was so pissed!! I threw some F bombs and wanted to go to bed! Upon putting me to bed and turning my chair power off and on, an error message popped up on the screen! The message read "omni system error 810D". The result of this caused my chin control not to work!! I was LIVID!
The next morning we woke up and got ready to attend Family Day! I had contemplated arriving late to family day and trying to find a wheelchair company in the area first. Stephanie said, "No I will push your chair and we will make calls to wheelchair repair companies while there" That was a nice gesture considering a power chair is heavy to push, then you add my 115 pounds and the South Carolina heat on top of that... she was a real trooper!  :) Thank you Steph!!

As soon as we arrived we found our way to the wheelchair seating area. We spotted my sister and her family and visited with them until the "family day" ceremony began, which seemed like a life time!! :) Thousands of people were in the bleachers looking out in a HUGE open field that backs up to a deep wooded area. It started out  with a few people running out from the wooded area and throwing colored smoke bombs. Withn a matter of seconds 4 groups (280 in each group approximately) of soldiers start marching out on the field through the thick colored smoke and march in sync up to the bleachers. It was wonderful to see that many people dedicating their lives to our country.

After 30 minutes of dedication speeches, the families were FINALLY permitted to run from the bleachers to find their soldier. ;) Yay!! My sister and her family found Tia in the sea of soldiers and soon after they came up to me in the bleachers so I could get a hug!! She looked so happy!! It was so great!!!

This is her and I the minute we saw each other! She wears glasses so the military supplies these beauties. They are bcg's which stand for birth control glasses. Teehee! I heart you Tee!!

No comments:

Post a Comment