Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Job interview. Nasty neighbor and Nerdiest State is Ohio??

 
Hello! As I mentioned in my last post, Saturday I was busy filling out job applications. Well, I surprisingly received two calls Monday morning. One was regarding a work from home position and the other was a brick and mortar position around Dayton.  I was really excited to move forward with both job potentials to see how each would pan out for me.
 
Up until today, I had been playing phone tag with one girl who was from the brick and mortar place. When we spoke this afternoon, she asked me what hours I preferred and if I wanted full time or part time. I said I preferred part time and would like evenings. That is when she said the hours are from 4:30PM-1:00AM Monday through Friday. It's a 40 Hour work week. I told her I will apply again if that shift becomes a possibility.
 
At 2:00 I had an interview with the company that hires people to work from home. Right off the bat the lady who was doing the interview could not hear me. Ugh!! She called back from another phone, which was a bit better than before... but, the problem still existed. The interview was going swell, I felt confident, then she asked how many words I typed a minute. I said 25. She said, "Oh, for this position you are expected to type 30. I then politely said, "Well, in the job description it says applicants need to type 25-30 wpm. That is why I applied. Well, I thought we had worked beyond that because she kept saying she thought I was a good candidate. She then asked how I type. I explained it was an onscreen keyboard with word prediction (I can save words, type faster) and I explained how my head movement maneuvers the mouse, etc. Well, she then felt the software might not be compatible with the company's software. So, again I'm digging myself out of this assumption she has and trying to explain I have worked for many companies over the past 10 years (even their company) and it's not been an issue. She still felt she needed to escalate some questions to HR. I understood completely, but at the same time I'm worried that just the fact that the software could pose a compatibility issue, is a strike against me. Before we ended the interview she asked me to take a typing test that she would send me through e-mail. I said, "Sure" and I typed 32 wpm. Yay me, but I don't think it will get me any closer to getting this job. She sent it from an email address with a do not reply. :(
 
On a lighter note. Evidently Ohio is the nerdiest state. I got this factoid from the Dayton Daily News!! I thought that was a low blow until I saw some of the titles that the other states earned! Who does this research? and isn't there better things to spend money on?
 
 
 
 
 
 
Troy, Ohio was popular and made it in to an episode of  20/20. It was about a neighbor (A) on one side of the street who didn't get along with the neighbor (B) across the street. It showed scenes where neighbor B taunted his neighbor A with shining an orange light in her windows, he called her a whore, he let his grass and plants grow really long, he painted cruel things on his tree that referred to her son.... I would think that Neighbor A making this squabble national news would only provoke neighbor B????  Click below for the video.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment