Saturday, June 22, 2013

Summer is here

Yesterday was the first day of summer and the day couldn't have been more beautiful!! The sun was shining, there were no clouds in the sky and it was 85 degrees. :) Hopefully we have many more beautiful days this summer that were like yesterday. :)

Yesterday was the 21st anniversary of my being in a wheelchair, too. It's hard to believe it's been that long. I used to think I wouldn't live that long. In all reality, I used to not want to live that long. When I first got injured I heard that individuals who have a high spinal cord injury and are on a ventilator (or other means of artificial breathing) had a life expectancy of 15 years. Every year on the date of my anniversary of "quadness" I used to say to myself, "Well, another year down. I only have 7 (for instance) more years to deal with this... Nowadays I don't have too many terrible days that make me wish I wasn't here. I have down days, but not like I used to. :)

If I could tell one thing to newly injured people, it would be IT GETS BETTER! When people are new to the disability, the wheelchair, the dependency on others, etc. there is absolutely no light at the end of the tunnel. It's impossible to believe that life could appear normal again. It does not happen over night, but it does happen!

The weekend of my accident was the same weekend as the Dayton Air Show. Ironically, this weekend is the Air Show. Most years the air show is held in mid July, that is why I say it's ironic. :) I tell myself every year I want to go to the air show because I have never been! I live 10 minutes away and have never been. Maybe I'm not that interested. LOL

Today I was watching the news and learned there was a plane crash during the show. I saw the crash on the tv and knew in my heart nobody survived. The wing walker was sitting on the wing when the plane crashed and turned in to a ball of fire. You could see her arm raise up all most like she was going to brace herself for the fall. It was sad to see. You can view the story here. Plane crash

2 comments:

  1. Cindy, that was really sad. You know, there was no traffic in our area today. The parking grounds to the air show looked bare. It is just not what it used to be. Remember when the hot air balloons would come directly over our house? One year, one or two landed in our back yard? Gosh, I miss those days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The air show used to be a huge hit from Friday through Sunday and it's nothing like that now! Yes, I remember the hot air balloons so low it was like we could all most touch them. :) It was so much fun growing up behind the airport air show weekend. (The only time LOL). Anyway..the crash was sad to hear about and I'm sure it placed a damper on today's show. :(
    They done away with the stealth bomber, the balloons and the blue angels right?

    ReplyDelete