Saturday, July 6, 2013

Spread the word to end the word...

The "H" word that is!!

I heard on the news yesterday that an advocacy group in Ohio is trying to remove the word handicap from the new accessible signs. This would be parking signs, bathroom signs, etc. This group feels the term is outdated and offensive. One person said the term handicap sounds like it makes fun of people.

I have always thought words about disability are just that... words. It's semantics to me. I'm not offended by handicap, disabled, crippled, cap, etc, but I do know people who are offended by the word disabled. To these people, disabled means broken down like a broken down non-working car.

When I heard this on the news my initial thought was "OMG. Seriously!!??!!" Why can't people who rely on these accessible spaces just appreciate the designated spot whether it be a parking spot or a restroom stall and not worry about what it says or doesn't say. Next the wheelchair on the signs will be offensive and need to be changed to a picture of a cane or an oxygen tank.

As you see, I just don't get it!





No comments:

Post a Comment