Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Technology, cat training and little people!

Hello! Today I was thinking about technology and how far it has become. In 1992 I was in a nursing home and spent my days watching television, sleeping, watching television, visiting, etc. It was mundane, very dull and not much excitement. This routine went on for 5 years until my friend, Pat introduced me to sip and puff, which is adaptive technology used to send air pressure in to a device. The device was a headset that had a "straw" that I blew into when I wanted to select (press enter for example) on the onscreen keyboard, which was called wivik (windows visual keyboard).

Pat strongly encouraged me to make the investment in a computer and the above mentioned technology. She said it would change my life forever and boy was she right!! It introduced me to things I never knew existed... chatrooms, disability websites, dating, meeting new people (good and bad HA!) and so much more! At the time I felt like if there was a time to be disabled or have physical limitations, that was the time because technology allowed everybody the freedom to have the world wide web at your fingertips!

Jump ahead to 2013. Technology continues to grow fast (too fast IMHO) but for c2c3 quadriplegics who have no voluntary movement from the shoulders down, it's going backwards not forward!! I cannot use touch screen! I cannot text! I feel more disabled now than I have in years and it's depressing!!

Cat training and little people will have to wait until tomorrow. I have been standing for 3 hours and getting tired. Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment